Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pushing up Daisies . . .


This week in the news, several public figures died. And every once in awhile, when someone dies I start to think about my own death. I ask myself that most common question, "What kind of legacy do I want to leave?" When I lost my own dad several years ago, although I knew that he wasn't perfect, all I could think of was the kind of dad he was to me and how I was really lucky to have him, but needed him way longer. I still think that. When that day comes for me, I hope my children remember all the times I TRIED to be a good mom and TRIED to create loving and lasting memories. And even with all my failures, I loved them more than anything. So, I guess my legacy of choice is "She tried." My husband, my mom, my sis, my best friend, my nieces and nephs, my aunt and uncles, my special cousins and friends and others who crossed my path, I hope they realize that I tried with them all. I was me, but held the best parts of them in my heart. I tried to be truly me. I tried to make the best of the good parts and tried to work through and change the worst. I burned my candles and smelled my roses and drank water. I was a work-in-progress poster child. I knew a lot of people, loved a lot of people and buried a few. I never killed anyone (thoughts don't count!) and I cleaned up my messes.

But I'll admit, it would be really nice if once my daisies were pushed up, they changed my legacy to "She Succeeded." Yeah, that would be pretty cool.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are trying and are succeeding (notice the present tense!). KC

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! Good work on getting this up and running. Someone should have told you YEARS ago what a good writer you were! ;)

Anonymous said...

Kath,
Yes you succeeded (thank God I can type and read how to spell succeeded)
You have such great boys and husband. It will be fun checking this site out in the future.

Anonymous said...

Anonymously,

Sean

Jen said...

SOB! I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Kath! Congrats! And yes you are an excellent writer!!! And I tend to not say "wordy" but "discriptive". Ha Ha Ha

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I've been telling you for years you should send some of your work into the local newspaper, you are far and away better than many I've read. Your writing is prime for a popular column because people can identify with what you say....Believe me, please.