Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Cuz It's Cool, That's Why!

It's SHARK WEEK on The Discovery Channel! That is exciting because:


  • I have no life
  • I have no job
  • I have no idea
But I do love shark week. It reminds me of when my BFF sneaked a television into our dormitory during our senior year in prison, I mean, high school. And we watched JAWS on Friday night (i.e. SABBATH) with blankets draped over the windows so the night watchman (Dan M.) wouldn't see the light changing in the corner room. Then we had an earthquake, but thought Jesus was coming and we would surely go to hell because we were watching a movie on a contraband television on Sabbath. Ya know, as a parent that story is not cool. My kids both think I'm incredibly weird. I have no drug or drinking stories. My idea of being WILD and CRAZY was hiding Elder "Uncle Mil" Perrin's B-I-B-L-E. Sure you could call it theft, but I prefer "displacement." And we DID return it (after a stiffly worded lecture which I barely held my laughter.)

The boys love their Auntie BFF (even though she was as "square" as me.) She could do anything and be very cool, but I'm still totally uncool. And their Auntie Zen is way cooler than me, too. Woe is me. Being uncool is so sad. Like when you're talking to your sister on the cell phone and she's at the drive-thru of Burgerville. And you're not. Some days you wish you were just laying in bed watching Shark Week on The Discovery Channel.

5 comments:

Jen said...

If it makes you feel any better, I dedicated my fresh blackberry Burgerville milkshake to you just before I drank it. I'm dedicating the digestion of said milkshake (and the rest of my lunch) to Ron. Tell him I said "you're welcome."

Anonymous said...

And their Auntie thinks they're VERY cool (and sweet)...xoxo

Anonymous said...

I've heard that psychologically speaking, dreaming about sharks means you have deep trust issues. Have you had any shark dreams lately?

Anonymous said...

I so understand the uncoolness thing. Though at least you confine your uncoolness to family. :)

It was not long ago that my family was invited to a dinner party at Peggy Hoag's house, you know, the one who shared the room with me just below you in that "prison." There were eight adults there and the meal was scrumptuous with the main course being some delicious lamb and luxurious wine.

Then the topic came up about Peggy and I having known each other since high school. Of course, first of all it was weird that we roomed together in high school. Then, unfortunately, one of the guys asked for some stories.

The worst part is that I actually told some! There was the one where Pegs and I stole cookies from the cafeteria and got caught and had to eat the whole two dozen at once right then and there. And then there was the one about sneaking notes to the boys dorm through the night watchmen.

I realized how well these stories went over when, after an explanation from Peggy of how this was a conservative Christian environment, the guy who had asked about stories said, "Ah, that explains the absence of stories."

Yeah, and maybe it explains my absence of sense. Thankfully Peggy forgave me like a good former roomie.

Anonymous said...

And parents are STILL learning more of their favorite first child's history..... Good thing there's the "favorite" status....