Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Franken-teeter

Yesterday I got the call that moms the world around dread. "Mom, I cracked my head open." OMG!!!! My baby was in Denver. I was not. My heart flew there quite rapidly.

When Stephen explained, after first saying "Mom, breathe! Breathe, Mom!" He said that he walked out into the warehouse at his job and apparently ran into a steel . . . uh, thingy that crashed into his noggin. He fell down, bumped the back of his head and passed out. He woke to much blood on his face and hands. He said, "It's ok, Mom. I went to Walgreen's and bought band aids and superglue." SUPERGLUE????? I knew my child wanted to prove what a big boy he is and how very capable he is handling these things that cause me great stress. I gently (it could happen!), ok, who am I kidding. I told him to RUN DON'T WALK to the nearest emergency room and get checked out immediately!! Not even a firmly worded lecture on clean underwear! (I know when I'm wasting my words.)

Seven stitches later, he's good as new (he says anyway.) I am rather proud of him. Maybe he'll be inspired to become a doctor and write me good prescriptions.











There does seem to be a pattern. He cracked the BACK of his head open a couple years ago and didn't tell me about it until several days later. I gotta admit, though, he did a good job. He went to the emergency room, even used all the proper insurance info and 12 staples later he stopped doing karate with people who kicked him into corner walls. (Personally, I think he enjoyed this one because he didn't have to wash his hair for 9 or 10 months!)

Stephen also broke an arm once. Is he out to destroy himself or ME???!!! This child loves to see his momma all worked up. I just wanna cuddle and bubble wrap him. I told him I would return him to where he came from for all the damage he's incurred. He assured me that his warranty has expired. Oh, and he thinks the scar might be cool cuz it's kinda lightening bolt-y. What can I say? He's a glass half full kinda guy!! I love you, Teeter!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After looking at the photo and assuring myself that it wasn't taken at the morgue, I can now say that I am proud of my Stephen (I'm assuming that his girlfriend(s) don't read this blog)for his hasty medical assessment (and have to ask if an intern did your zigzag stitches??) and that now he won't have to buy a mask for Halloween. AND I love him with all my heart!

Unknown said...

owie! Life experiences do leave scars sometimes. Good for you Kathy, being such a big brave girl looking at your boy with lightning bolt down his forehead. I'm glad he is okay. God is good!
Joy

Anonymous said...

Hm, after much thought into the precautionary measures that could have been and can be taken to prevent such mishaps, I have to come to the conclusion that either the warehouse needs to become more hazard-preventative, or Steve does. And since I have little say over a certain corporation, I think a special someone is getting a helmet for Christmas...

P.S. Anyone wanna go halvsies with me on the waterwings?