Monday, June 11, 2007

Idiots In Our Midst

Today I worked at a company doing some computer work in an office adjacent to another room where they were conducting interviews. The manager was interviewing throughout the day. It was a laborer job, but I was still so shocked, I thought I was getting punk'd or something. Here is a snippet of the conversation I overheard.

Manager: ". . .so the benefits in this job include . . "

RING RING (Applicant's cell phone)

Applicant: "Oh, I gotta get this."

"Hi Honey. ---- Yeah, I'm in an interview right now. ----Yeah, the jobs sounds good. -----I'm not sure exactly how much. We haven't talked about that yet. ----- Oh, you know I wouldn't take anything less than what I'm worth. (I'm sure at this point he winked at the interviewer) ---- Well, I decided I should come by and talk to them now. ---- Yeah, I can do that when I get home. ------ I love you, too. ------ Yes, I really do. ------ Honey, I'm not kidding. I really do love you. ------ Oh yeah. I forgot to pick that up. I'll do it on the way home. ----- I'm really sorry. I do love you though. ----- OK, I'll see you at home." CLICK.

Manager: "Do you have time today to get the paperwork from HR?"

Applicant: "So, do I have the job?"

Manager: "I don't see why not."

So, at this point, I'm spewing Slimfast through my nose. Did I mention he brought his 6-year-old son to the interview? It's one of those ridiculous situations where the guy GOT the job, so you can't even say "Hey, here's a tip . . ."
This would be a good place to note that in a recent temporary assignment, I was working in HR, sorting and compiling documents. I took the time to read the applications, as I was told by the HR manager it would be very amusing. One man wrote "Just got outta prison. Didn't really beat the bitch up."

My own personal worst interview moment was awhile back when the interviewer-man said to me "Do you have a stable home life?" I don't know. Define stable.

So, what's yours???

NONE OF THIS WAS MADE UP. I'm not that good!

2 comments:

Jen said...

My worst interview story isn't interesting at all. But I would like to say that you can send my new keyboard anytime. I ruined mine snorting pizza through my nose when I opened your blog this evening. The picture AND the story almost left me speechless. For shame!! ILYA--

Anonymous said...

I'm just upset I didn't get royalties for that picture.