Friday, June 1, 2007

I miss you, Libby


Ten years ago today, I lost a very dear friend. Libby was 31 years old, married and had three little girls under the age of five. She suffered a sudden massive stroke one Sunday afternoon. I know her loss is still felt by so many. I wrote this poem as a tribute to this caring and thoughtful friend.


My Friend

If I had but just one moment

And knew the end was near

I have so many things I'd say

Now she'll never hear


I didn't know there'd be no chance

No later time to tell

No words to be the last ones

No time to wish her well


If I'd had that moment

I'd thank her for the days

We laughed, we shared, she always cared

She showed that in so many ways


I loved to be around her

I admired her sense of life

She had class and she had style

She was a loving mother and a good wife


The hardest part of losing

This friend I'm glad I had

Is that if I'd lost any other friend so dear

She'd be my shoulder while I'm sad


Libby was a friend to all

Her heart was big and plenty

She had so much yet left undone

So much to give to many


If I can learn but one thing now

That moment now is past

To share our final words of thanks

Should not be saved for last


We must not keep those words inside

When time might quickly end

Without a warning, Libby's gone

Good-bye, my wonderful friend.


So here I am alone to grieve

No shoulder now for me

But I have to say I'm thankful

For the little piece of heaven, called our friendship

I was lucky to receive

1 comment:

Jen said...

Kathy, that was beautiful. I don't think I'd read it before. To this day, whenever I see sunflowers I think of Libby. I love you and am thinking of you today-- Jen