Sunday, September 2, 2007

The ChattyKat Boss of the Year Award goes to . . .


As I wrote last weekend, I started a new job recently. My new boss is "Jennifer." That makes two Jennifer's in my life and I love them both (OK, sis-Jen is higher on the love list, but Boss-Jen isn't too far down!)

One previous boss goes down in the books for his constant screaming fits directed at me daily. He would throw things when he was mad and I just totally prayed one day I would get hit by one of those flying objects and be able to press charges. He had me convinced that I would never get a job anywhere else, so I didn't try. Also, whenever I had a lunch date with a friend, he'd spend the whole afternoon accusing me of trying to get another job. He molested any female worker or delivery girl, so I was always writing letters IN HIS DEFENSE denying such charges. Oh, what a dark time in my life. Even when you self-medicate (i.e. drink yourself into oblivion) you eventually wake up and have to face the blackness again anyway.

When I worked government, I did like a lot of my bosses - I had many, and some were really great. My favs were: Bruce, Gerardo, Steve G, Nik, Ron . . . probly a couple others I can't remember right now. While working temp, I've enjoyed just about anyone I've worked for and really really liked the gals at my temp company. Now, though, I work for Boss-Jen and she's about the best boss ever. I feel very very lucky to have a job I enjoy so much.

My own list of what makes a good boss:
  • Promotes positive energy
  • Admits mistakes
  • Loves their job
  • Truly cares about and empowers their employees
  • Knows the fine line between staying informed and micro-managing
  • Listens to others
  • Even-tempered - doesn't throw tantrums
  • Challenges employees to be their best
Did I forget anything?? Have a great week!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good list for most anyone -- could make the world a happier place....