Friday, July 6, 2007

Take Small Bites and Chew Slowly.


I'm mostly a Saturday morning housecleaner. Sure, I'll do laundry or straightening throughout the week, but the heavier cleaning is always on Saturday mornings. Since I was gone for several weeks, I have a LOT to clean tomorrow morning! I remember when the whole idea of "House Cleaning" was so overwhelming and I would do anything to avoid it. But since I hated living in a chaotic environment, I had to figure it out. Maybe I'm the only one in the whole world who feels overwhelmed with housekeeping or even any big project, or maybe I'm part of a very big club. Regardless, I feel compelled to share some of my hints to avoid overwhelm. I think this system will work for almost any large project.

During the week, I set the timer for 20 minutes. I just do overall straightening. I pickup anything that doesn't belong in a room, putting it in a laundry basket until the room is picked up. I move onto the next room until everything is put away. If I don't have a place to put every single thing I own, I either create a place or look very seriously at storing it (if I love it and feel sentimental about it) or giving it to someone who would appreciate and use it. When the timer goes off, either I'm so involved in what I'm doing, I can't imagine stopping right then or I know that I'm finished. In the bedrooms, I use small round laundry baskets that store just the amount of one load of laundry. I keep one for whites and one for darks. When that basket fills, I know that I can take it down (already sorted!) and run that load.

On Saturday mornings, I set the timer for 1 hour. I start in the kitchen and clean the counters, empty/load the dishwasher, clean the countertops, stovetop, microwave. After everything is wiped down, I straighten and organize the fridge. I sweep the kitchen floor, vacuum the rug and then mop. I then dust and do all the floors, to include the stairs. Usually about then I reset the timer and clean the bathrooms, which I do quickly in this order - mirrors/counter/sink/toilet/floor, take out trash. I don't clean the shower or bathtub every week and usually I try to get Ron or one of the boys to do it. :-)

One other hint I encourage is to use your children. When my kids were younger, I would have one follow me around so they could help. They should have their own responsibilities and when they're really young, they can do simple things like putting shoes away. I don't remember a time when my boys didn't have a spreadsheet of chores for every week. Course, when they were younger, the spreadsheets were cute and creative, but as they grew, the spreadsheets got more plain. Rewards work! Some people I've talked to believe that kids should learn responsibility without reward. But I don't live in that SUGAR-COATED CANDYLAND! I need rewards and I like to reward myself with quiet time, reading or making jewelry or cards or watching a movie. I do feel somewhat rewarded by just having a house that's neat and clean, too.

What I like best about my system so far is that I break everything down so much that I don't feel overwhelmed. But every system can be bettered. If you do something that works for you, please share!!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I found something that once worked especially well for me was to fake E.coli poisoning so your mom and her best friend will come clean your house top to bottom and even throw your husband and sister a 40th birthday party. Of course, the fake E.coli means you can't actually attend the party and that sorta sucks.

Here's something I DON'T recommend: go on strike and wait until your husband cleans. I tried that once and ran out of unders. I definitely did not win.

Great tips, though, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Coming from someone totally anonymous, I'd really like to know how many of those truly fabulous ideas were inherited from your mother?

Anonymous....

Chatty-Kat said...

Definitely the ADHD part of me that requires I live with total structure comes from my mother!!

Anonymous said...

I guess I have to be the one to state the totally obvious. Preparation Day is Friday NOT Sabbath. And since I work (outside the home) on Fridays and observe both Saturday and Sunday as holy...well, you can guess the state of my house. :) And by the way, if I'm counting correctly, there are 4 adults in your home...how come others are sleeping during this cleaning frenzy???? Can't wait to hear Sean and Stephen's future significant others saying "Boy, your Mother really did a number on you!" (Seinfeld reference...with much love...xoxo)

Anonymous said...

Is this what your book is about? Good tips.

As to Jen's comments, I haven't tried the strike on my husband. Sounds like fun, at least for a while.

Actually, grumbling and complaining and irritated looks were my methods of choice for a long time. They didn't work either.

Fortunately, over time, with lots of patience on my part (sometimes loud patience), my husband has learned to take me and sharing the housework more seriously. OK, so he still doesn't replace the bag in the trash can when he takes out the garbage. But he does do the recycling on Sunday evenings these days.

I like the timer idea. I use that one on my kids, so why not expand it to myself?

And now that I'm headed that direction, I think it might actually work well on my husband. No, seriously! His biggest beef is that the work never ends and he always wonders when he can rest (yes, his mother did a number on him!).

20 minutes might be a good place to start.

If I don't get a timer down my throat, I'll let you know how it works.